Saturday, July 5, 2008

Dancing in the Rain


A brief rainstorm, and we ran to the rooftop and danced.

I haven't danced in the rain in a long time. I can't remember the last time I did. It felt so good. I have decided dancing in the rain, on a rooftop, in the middle of the night is good for the soul. Lately, I have felt like my soul has been shoved into a box that was too small...it was very liberating.

We decided to celebrate the fourth and watch an American movie (Hancock) and eat at KFC for some good ol' fried chicken. Later on, after dancing in the rain, we roasted marshmallows over the stove to give us some sense of the states. Ironically, while living in America, I don't remember eating at KFC in the past five years maybe? It's funny what you consider to be "American" when in the states you don't really eat it...

It's also funny to see the western influence, the KFC, the Pizza Huts', the Domino's pizzas, the 7elevens on almost EVERY street corner. However, it still maintains its culture, the small family run businesses, the street lights that mean nothing to drivers, the many, many people on scooters, and the sidewalks that are filled with parked cars (you pretty much walk on the street, as the sidewalks are designated for parking ^_^).

It's so strange; in the states, my cell phone was like my safety blanket, I felt lost without it, and seriously, I'd hold it in my hand while just walking, or even trying to do my job as a CNA. I'm also a compulsive email checker, bank account checker, facebook/myspace checker...but here, it seems like time has stopped and those things are less important.

I don't have a cell phone here, and while before I thought I couldn't live without it, here I don't feel like I need it. I don't HAVE to text someone if I'm bored in a crowd. I don't have to have that reassurance. The moment is more real than what will happen, what has happened...I can just live in the moment. I've forgotten what it feels like to do that...it's almost like I'm coming back from the dead. ^_^ And it's a good feeling.

There's so many things to do around here and experience the local culture. There's a few parks around, and a few nights ago I went with Megan to a park to climb the steps. Yeah, I totally died...there were over 500 steps. And the funny thing was, it wasn't the steps that killed me (I wasn't sore the next day) it was just the exercising part...I'm so out of shape... ^_^

My kindergarten classes will probably be the challenge for me, just because of the need to over plan, and the kids just being immersed in English. It seems like they just ignore you if they don't understand what you're saying. BUT THEY'RE SO DANG CUTE!!! They're so small, and so happy to learn. SO dang cute.

My fifth grade class is so well behaved. I think it's going to be a little easier, maybe because it's only 6 hours a week, but the kids speak English very well, and only need a little refining on the grammar rules.

We'll see how it goes in the coming weeks, but so far, I love it here. Hopefully, my good kids will stay good kids and my little terrors in kindergarten (they're not really terrors) will not be so scared of me. ^_^

3 comments:

Dad said...

I'm glad you find it easier to live in the moment there. That is one of the most important things that we all need to develop more. Being in a strange environment helps. When it becomes too familiar, we loose it.

I remember when we first moved to Alaska, walking on the crunchy snow to work in the pre-dawn hours, with the lights glistening off the snow like little stars beneath my feet. I felt like I was on a different planet. After we've lived there for a while, sadly, I didn't notice it any more.

So one year in a new environment is short enough, I think, to keep the present moment continously interesting. Try to be observant and not slip into complacency, so that you can develop this ability to be in, and enjoy, the present moment always.

Jacqueline Auna and family said...

Exactly what I going to say! I think the challenge for me is to keep that sense of wonder. It's good you've recorded this because it's important to remember the things that make you happy so if ever you're in a slump, try something new, dance in the rain at night, turn off those dang electronics. Just be.

What lovely experiences you're having and Taiwan is such a beautiful city at night! You write so beautifully and I can feel the euphoric feeling of freedom you're experiencing as deeply as though I'm feeling it! You're awesome, Con - love you!

Mom said...

Thank you for traveling to Taiwan, it feels like I am almost there with you. So much to do and see. And so much to learn and feel. Glad you feel liberated. Almost like a little kid...kindergarten age? J/K

I can't wait for pictures of the cute Kindergarten kids and fifth graders.